Saturday, June 30, 2007

WHY DID PETER GO BACK TO FISHING?

I was reading through John 21: 1 - 23 yesterday during MOT Training.
And this is what the Lord spoke to me.

THE PASSAGE

V1 - V3
After Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead after 3 days, he appeared before the disciples at least twice. Simon Peter must have still felt that he had disappointed the Lord and failed to be faithful when he denied him three times. So in verse 3, he went back fishing, the thing that he was most familiar with before he met Jesus.

V4 - V8
Jesus perfored another mircale. A similar miracle which he did at the beginning of his ministry.
That same miracle which he did before he called the disciples to follow him.
The disciples caught so much fish that they could not bring the nets on board but to dragged the nets to shore. Only then did they recognise the Lord Jesus.

V9 - V13
Jesus fed the disciples bread and fish. Not the fish they caught but his own.

V15b - V17
Jesus asked Peter "Do you love me?"
When Peter answered, "Yes Lord", Jesus replied, "Feed my lambs."
This is a re-commission of Peter's calling.
This is to re-instate Peter from his hurt, pain and failure that he was feeling.

V18 - V21
Jesus prophesied the kind of death Peter will suffer.
Peter was concerned about John's death instead.
So Jesus rebuked Peter to focus on his own faith and follow Him.

My Contemplation

God is concerned with my calling and my ministry.
He is concerned with my walk with Him.
Especially when I swayed away from my calling.
When I am discouraged and when I felt that I am a failure.

Jesus is asking me to focus on my calling and my ministry.
Not to look at the situation or at others around.
But to seek God , continue to feed His sheep and follow Him.

My Prayer

Thank you Lord Jesus for speaking to me.
Thank you Lord Jesus for understanding how I feel inside.
Thank you Lord for calling me into the ministry.
Amen!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

God spoke the same thing to me today. It's so wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Which of one of the C' s you love the most?

Anonymous said...

Jesus you are Great. Thank you for posing this msg in my heart