Friday, August 3, 2007

Matthew 5: 42

“Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.”

LECTIO & MEDITATIO
Have you lent some money to someone and never got it back?
And this has happened to us many times in the past. When I first experienced such an encounter, I was hurt and had a grudge against the borrower. It happened some 20 years ago. Then it happened again and again. Then it happened to my wife. And the amount was not small. It was then that my wife quoted this saying:
“When someone comes to you to borrow money, lend never expecting return.” If they had the ability to return, they would never have to borrow in the first place.

Again I have to realize that lending will not be so simple. There will be those who abuse and cause those who really needed help to be discounted. So even in this, discernment is essential in our decision to help. Or else we will be abused by those who came to cheat and those who really needed our help may not get our help as our finances are limited.

CONTEMPLATIO / PRAYER
Lord Jesus, grant me your wisdom so that I can discern who I should help, lending never expecting return. Amen.

1 comment:

barnz said...

hey brother, why not add a tag board so people can drop short notes and greetings? get one from www.flooble.com :)