Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Matthew 5: 21 - 24

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, `Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, `Raca, ' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, `You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift."

LECTIO & MEDITATIO
Jesus begins to deepen the demands of the law… he started with the 6th and the 7th of the 10 commandments, the prohibitions against murder and adultery.

In verse 21 – 22, Jesus talked about murder, he made the application of murder much wider than physical murder. It included thoughts and words as well as deeds, anger and insult as well as physical murder. In the Greek manuscript, additional words of “without a cause” puts the anger into perspective. Not all anger is evil as there are righteous anger. Jesus is referring to unrighteous anger, anger of pride, vanity, hatred, malice and revenge.

Insults are mentioned at the end of verse 22. Jesus warns us against calling our brother “Fool” insulting his intelligence.

Angry and insulting words or thoughts may not lead to the ultimate act of murder but they are tantamount to murder in God’s sight. Our thoughts, words and looks all indicate that as sometimes we dare to say, “we wish that person is dead.” Such an evil wish is a breach of the sixth commandment.

Sometimes it is so difficult to go to that person I am angry with because of some misunderstanding or even are real mistreatment done to me but the scripture tells me that I need to surrender it to God. If there will be an opportunity, God will give me the strength and the love of Jesus to approach that person and reconcile.

CONTEMPLATIO / PRAYER
Lord Jesus, I am sorry and I ask for your forgiveness for this anger I have in my heart. Help forgive and help me reconcile. Amen.

No comments: