Monday, July 9, 2007

Matthew 5: 3

“Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

LECTIO & MEDIDTATIO

The word ‘blessed’ can be translated to the word ‘happy’.

The word ‘poor’ literally means ‘’material need’.
And because the needy had no refuge but God, poverty can be identified with the humble dependence on God.

Psalms 34: 6
“This poor man cried out to God in his need.”

So ‘poor’ describes as people with a contrite and humble spirit.

Isaiah 61: 1
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.”

Therefore, to be poor in spirit is to acknowledge our spiritual poverty indeed our spiritual bankruptcy before God.
We have nothing to offer, nothing to plead, nothing which can buy us favour for heaven.

CONTEMPLATIO / PRAYER
Lord Jesus help me to realize that I am nothing.
I have nothing that can buy me favour for heaven.
Help me to rely totally on you, my Lord and my God.
Amen.

No comments: