Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Matthew 5: 25 - 26

"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. I tell you the truth, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

LECTIO & MEDITATIO
Jesus advised that if we have unpaid debts, make settlement quickly especially if the creditor has intention to take us to court.

This illustration that Jesus told is that we must not allow any estrangement to remain but to put right immediately. As soon as we are conscious of a broken relationship, we must take initiative to mend it, to apologise for the grievance we have caused, to pay a debt we have left unpaid, to make amends. If we want to avoid committing murder in God’s sight, we must take every possible positive step to live in peace and love with everyone.

Sometimes it seems so difficult to practice what Jesus had taught. To take every possible step to live in peace and love with everyone is something I yearn to do but in circumstances I am in. I may want the peace and reconciliation but the other party may not respond the same. Sometimes I get so worried that I may be misunderstood if I take such steps. Sometimes it is not that I have caused the grievances but instead I have been grieved or hurt. I always believe that I just need to obey and do what is required of me, then leave the rest to God.

CONTEMPLATIO / PRAYER
Lord Jesus, help me to put things right especially when I am the offender. Help me to be humble to ask for forgiveness. Amen.

No comments: